How is Layritz Little League (LLL) structured?
LLL is managed by an elected boardthat administers the league in line with established bylaws, local rules and policies. The Executive is supported by a Board of non-voting members who fill key roles in the management of the league. The league is non-profit and 100% volunteer run organization. LLL Baseball & Softball is comprised of:
Blastball (age 3-4)
Tee Ball (age 5-6)
Mini Minors (age 7-8)
Minors Baseball & Softball (age 8-10)
Majors Baseball & Softball (age 11-12)
Junior & Senior Softball (13-16)
Plus, interested players are able to participate in district Intermediate (11-13) and Junior (13-14) Baseball generally run out of Central Saanich Little League
What if I don’t live in the boundaries of LLL?
Most likely you will have to participate in another Little League program, unless your player attends a school located within our boundaries OR you lived or attended school within the boundaries while registered with LLL in the most recent previous season and then moved outside the boundaries. In that case, you may be able to receive a waiver and continue to participate in LLL. Please feel free to contact us if you are not sure if you are eligible to play at Layritz Little League
How much does it cost to participate in LLL?
Currently league fees range from $50 to $220 for the spring (regular) season. There is also a refundable uniform deposit and volunteer deposit OR fee in lieu of volunteer requirement
When does the season begin and end?
Please check the calendar on the LLL web page for exact league dates and events. Typically, the spring season begins in early April and an Opening Day event kicks off the first games of the season. The regular game season usually lasts through mid-June, including divisional playoff games. The season is extended for players that are selected to the LLL All-Star tournament teams or if we are able to offer a summer travel program. Additionally, there are Fun Tournament games in mid June for those who wish to participate. We will also run a fall ball program in Sept-Oct for ages 8-12 and various baseball and softball pre-season clinics.
Where are LLL games played?
LLL games are primarily played at Layritz Park however the teams in the minors division and above may travel. Typical travel is to various parks in the Greater Victoria area.
What days and times are the games played?
All teams in LLL are scheduled for one weekday and one weekend slot. Weekday games generally begin at 6:00pmand weekend games are played between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm. It is LLL’s desire to have games be completed before 9:00 pm on weekdays. Depending on the division and whether the team is home or visitor, players should arrive between 45-75 minutes prior to game time (as determined by coach) so they can properly warm up, and managers can get the line-up cards ready prior to the start of the game. Younger players (Tball - mini-minors) will be done earlier than older players and blastball will be weekend games only.
Who umpires LLL games?
LLL uses a combination of unpaid adult volunteers and paid junior umpires. All umpires are required to attend training clinics. A plate umpire and a field umpire are used in all games; unless a scheduling issue arises causing a shortage of available umpires. In the T-Ball and Mini divisions, coaches manage the flow of the game.
When will I find out what team my child will play on?
All teams should be formed by the end of March and your child’s manager will notify you of the team’s first meeting anytime thereafter. If you haven’t heard from a team manager or coach by the Sunday before opening day please feel free to contact the registrar or division director. Placement of all baseball and softball players in Minors and up will be at the sole discretion of Layritz Little League – assessments will be conducted and all players aged 12 will be placed in the major divisions and all players aged 10 & 11 who are capable of playing in the major divisions will be placed accordingly
Can I keep my child down or bring them up a division a year early?
LLL strongly supports age appropriate competition and development. LLL allows parents of 4-7 year olds to restrict their children to a specific division when in T-ball or Mini-Minors only. Otherwise children aged 5-7 will be placed in Tee Ball or Mini Minors based on their age. All baseball and softball players league age 8 and above will be assessed and LLL will place/Draft players to the appropriate team. As a rule unless there are extraordinary circumstances we do not place players on teams below their assessed skill level and capability.
When will the practices begin?
The goal is for upper division teams to be in a position to begin practices a couple of weeks before Opening Day, which is near the end of March. For Minors and Majors, practices typically begin the week after draft night. Actual practice schedules will depend upon weather and formation of teams. Younger divisions will not begin until after opening ceremonies.
How often and long will my child practice?
Practice frequency and duration are up to the team manager. Generally, it is recommended that T-ball and Mini-minor teams practice/play twice per week for about an hour. Minors and above average two practices a week for anywhere from 60-120 minutes PLUS games.
Where will my child practice?
LLL schedules field practice times at Layritz Park fields throughout the season. Your coach might also have practices at an alternate local field. You will know where your child will practice once your child is placed on a team and your manager contacts you.
What equipment will my child need before the first practice or game?
ALL Players Teeball and up must have a glove, helmet, jock/jill and for those 7 and above, molded cleats (soccer cleats work in a pinch). The team will have a supply of bats. Bat standards can change occasionally and you should carefully review the current Little League bat standards before making a purchase for Little League use.
A baseball bag is recommended to transport bats, batting gloves, water bottles, hats, and other items. Please label your child’s belongings with his/her name.
Are there any uniform supplies my child needs?
- Blastball, Tee Ball and Mini Minor: LLL provides each player with a hat and a shirt. Player requires athletic pants (NO shorts) and appropriate athletic shoes (NO open toes)
- Minor Baseball, Softball and above: LLL supplies game socks, a team jersey and a team hat. The socksand hat are the player’s to keep. The jersey must be returned at the end of the season. You are responsible for providing game pants (in determined colour), appropriate practice gear – pants and shirt – absolutely no shorts or open toed shoes will be allowed and players showing up for practice without appropriate practice gear will be required to remain in the dugout.
- All Divisions: Be sure your child dresses appropriately and brings a jacket or sweatshirt, especially early in the season.
Can my child be placed on a team with one of their friends?
LLL attempts to place children in Blastball, Tee Ball, Mini Minors and Minor Softball with special requests on the same team however due to scheduling we cannot always honour all requests. In Minors and above players are subject assessments and to the Draft, so there are no guarantees they will be placed with their friends and we do not consider friend requests at these levels.
If my child is unhappy with the team they are placed on, can they switch teams?
- Only in extreme cases does the league allow children to switch teams after the teams have been formed. Such requests must be made in writing to appropriate player-agent or president for consideration by the LLL Executive. Team balance is established early on, and changes of this type are difficult if not impossible to implement without upsetting the balance that has been established.
- If my child decides to quit, is it possible to get a refund?
- Eligible Refunds will not be issued until after May 1st - No exceptions, regardless of when the player quits.
- Blastball - Full Refund after first scheduled game, less $25 for uniform &administrative fee. No Refund after second scheduled game.
- Tee Ball and up - After registration and until teams are formed refunds will be processed with a $25 uniform & administrative fee. Once teams have been formed there will be No Refunds
- Medical Refunds will only be considered upon receipt of proof of injury (doctor's note) - refund subject to a $25 administrative fee. *Players wishing to be considered for a post-season All Star team and who will be released to play in time for try-outs and All Star selection must remain registered with Layritz Little League in order to be eligible.
- Players not placed on a team due to low registration numbers will receive a full refund.
- All refunds must be requested in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org date of email will be considered date of request.
Are there any rules about minimum playing time?
We strive for fair play. No child can sit more than two consecutive innings and no child can sit twice until every child has sat once. During the regular season a continuous batting order is used in all divisions.
Are there time limits on games?
- Blastball program is designed to run for 30 minutes;
- Tee Ball program is for one hour
- Mini Minors and Minors no inning can begin after 1 hour and 45 minutes and no inning shall start after 7:45pm. After the May long weekend games can go longer and it will be up to the umpire to decide if there is enough light;
- Majors and above no time limits.
Are there conduct rules that apply during games?
LLL has a ZERO tolerance policy with respect to inappropriate behaviour or language and does not tolerate foul language, bullying or taunting at any level by the players, parents, managers, or coaches. Any spectator, player, manager or coach that is warned is subject to being ejected from the premises and banned from the complex for additional games. Further, judgement calls made by any umpire on the field such as ball/strike, fair/foul or safe/out cannot be questioned or protested. Complaints shall be addressed to the UIC and/or president and will be reviewed by the executive; if further action is warranted the individual(s) will be invited to speak to the issue in front of the executive before a final determination is made.
What is the playoff structure?
Playoffs are held for minor teams and up (there must be 2 or more teams in the division) and they typically consist of a round-robin format with Championship games being played on Closing Day.
Who is responsible for staffing the Concession stand at LLL?
Upon registering a player for participation in LLL, the player’s parent(s) agree to serve 2 volunteer shifts where at least 1 shift is in the concession stand when asked by the Team manager. A schedule for this is developed by the Concession Manager. Please do your part in support of operating the concessions stand. It’s a great way to meet other parents and have a little fun!
Do I have to participate in any fundraising?
LLL relies on fundraising to help support the operations of the league. Player registration fees only account for a portion of the needed operating capital required for equipment, facilities maintenance and repairs, uniforms, etc. LLL supplements player registration fees with league sponsors and fundraising. Each team is expected to participate in the league’s concession duties.
Who do I contact if I have a problem that needs to be resolved by the league?
If at any time you have a problem or just want information, you can contact the league. However, please first discuss any concerns with your child’s manager, and then with the division’s coordinator. If you cannot find resolution you may then ask to have the matter forwarded to the divisional vice-president and then finally, the president. Contact information is on the LLL web site under the Board of Directors link. OR email MEDIA@Layritz.ca