Parent Code of Conduct
Layritz Little League follows and implements the Sport Parent Code of Conduct for the important message it holds about the appropriate role of parents (and your guests) in supporting their child in sports. Parents, by registering your child to participate on any team at Layritz Little League you agree to abide by this Sport Parent Code of conduct - no signature is required.
Any parent guilty of improper conduct at any game or practice will be asked to leave the sports facility/grounds and be suspended from the following game. Repeat violations may cause a multiple game suspension, or the season forfeiture of the privilege of attending all games.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles:
- Good Citizenship
The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character”.
All parents and/or guardians therefore agree:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting, refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures
- I will not encourage any behaviours or practices that would endanger the health and well being of the athletes
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, colour, sex or ability
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also de-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups
- I will promote the emotional and physical well beingof the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team
This Parent Code of Conduct is embodied by the Board of Directors of Layritz Little League. All reports of non-compliance will be reviewed by the Disciplinary Committee in a discreet and professional manner. If you, or a player have a concern around the park, we ask you to contact the President immediately. Often a simple conversation can resolve inappropriate behavoirs without disciplinary action if it is brought forward early on.